Thursday, April 8, 2010

Cheese and Crackers


By far our favorite family snacking treat is cheese and crackers but I hate buying crackers every other week especially because the healthier are pretty pricey. So today I figured I would try to make some myself. First, they are organic whole wheat blend and second, the batch was huge and they taste great. By far the simplest recipe I've made in awhile. The recipe is extremely forgiving and flexible which is why I liked it so much.

I only use organic ingredients so assume that in this recipe:

Simply Organic Crackers
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
salt for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
In a medium bowl stir together the flours, and salt. Pour in veggie oil and water and mix till blended ( I add some italian spices and a touch of garlic salt)
On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough as thin as possible - no thicker than 1/8 in. Place dough on an ungreased baking sheet, and mark squares out with a pizza cutter but don't cut through. Prick each cracker with a fork a few times, and sprinkle with salt ( I also sprinkle with parmesan.
Bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven, or until crisp and light brown. Baking time may be different depending on how thin your crackers are.
When cool, remove from baking sheet, and separate into individual crackers.

Original Recipe By Ray Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment